The Girl from Tomorrow (TV series)

Anything that concerns other movies and serials: reviews, recommendations, etc.
Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Re: The Girl from Tomorrow (TV series)

Post by Roja » 25 Feb 2024, 12:28

Thanks for these great finds, Fanat!! :yahoo:

I was thinking the other day about how much things have changed since the early 90s, because when I was growing up (I was born in 1979), I didn’t think it was anything unusual that Petey, who was 9 years old, walked to school and ran around the city by himself. I myself used to travel on the London Tube alone from the age of about 11. But nowadays there is a lot more concern about children’s safety and most parents nowadays would consider this shocking. A friend of mine has a 16 year old daughter who recently went to the hairdresser by herself for the first time! 😄

I did enjoy my freedom as a kid, but in retrospect I consider myself lucky that nothing terrible happened to me.

andrewd1984
Villager
Villager

Post by andrewd1984 » 26 Mar 2024, 15:17

Love this thread! Always been so curious about this show, ever since watching it. And so few behind the scenes info on it!

Here's a couple in case anyone does happen to know the answers!

-Was this always conceived as a two-series thing, or was it due to the success of Girl From Tomorrow that the second series was made?
-Were the two series made back to back or a year/years apart?
-Did the show have a good budget or not?
-Was it a happy shoot or a difficult one?
-Was there ever a plan for a third series or a spin-off?
-Ties into first question, but when writing the first series, did they have an ending in mind for the second series?
-Why no Tulista in Tomorrow's End?

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 30 Mar 2024, 00:11

Welcome to the thread, Andrew! 🙂Great to have another fan of the show here!!

I will try and answer your questions- I know the answers to some of them, others I am just guessing based on the information I have. So if I answer incorrectly and if anyone else knows more and can correct me, then please do!! :mrgreen:
Was this always conceived as a two-series thing, or was it due to the success of Girl From Tomorrow that the second series was made?
Mark Shirrefs and John Thomson had envisioned the complete story before both series were scripted and produced - during the first series, there were some brief references made to The Great Disaster, for example when PJ projects a hologram in Jenny and Petey’s cubby house that shows the Earth in the year 3000, you can see the damage to the Northern Hemisphere, and Silverthorn gives a description of what life was like in his time and how “clean water is more precious than gold”. But these themes weren’t fully explored until the second series as it wasn’t possible to tell the whole story within 12 episodes.

Also, it was pretty clear that there was more of the story to come, with the first series ending on such a huge cliffhanger with Jenny being paralysed and the stressful and rushed departure of Alana and Jenny as Jenny’s worried family looked on. So definitely 2 series were planned, but at the time the first series came out I’m guessing that the writers didn’t know for sure that a sequel would be made- that depended on how well the first series was received. And when it was a success, production for Tomorrow’s End got under way.
Were the two series made back to back or a year/years apart?
I don’t know whether the first series was filmed in 1989 or in 1990, but I know that it was first shown in Australia in 1990.

The script for the second series was typed by Mark Shirrefs between January 2nd and January 5th 1991- he worked from home and could stay up until 2am finishing the episodes. Then the filming of Tomorrow’s End was in early 1991. So there wasn’t a very long gap between the 2 series, but I couldn’t help noticing that James Findlay who played Petey had grown a little bit between TGFT and Tomorrow’s End (little kids grow very quickly!! 😄)
Did the show have a good budget or not?

It didn’t have a Hollywood budget, but they did get a decent budget to make the show from the government agency, Film Finance Corporation Australia, which had a rule that a certain number of hours of Australian television each year would be filled with children’s TV funded by the Australian Government. These high quality shows would also be sold to broadcasters overseas (like the BBC) and that way the agency would recoup the funding through the overseas success of the shows. Round The Twist and Spellbinder were also funded by the Film Finance Corporation.

I’m guessing that the budget for Tomorrow’s End was bigger than for the first series as more sets needed to be built for the scenes set in 2500, whereas most of The Girl From Tomorrow was filmed in existing locations for the scenes in 1990. Also a lot of the money would have gone on adding special effects (which were basic by today’s standards but were advanced at the time!)
Was it a happy shoot or a difficult one?
There is very little behind the scenes information out there as I haven’t seen any interviews with cast members about what it was like shooting the show, other than in the 10 minute documentary Making The Girl From Tomorrow. From what I saw on the documentary, James Findlay really enjoyed being in it, and Katharine Cullen and Melissa Marshall got along well, making a promise to keep in touch after the show was over. It would be wonderful to see a reunion interview with former cast members reminiscing about their memories of being in The Girl From Tomorrow! But it was a long time ago and the actors went on to do other things…

The only cast member I have personally been in touch with to talk about the show was John Howard, who had positive memories of making it- from the sounds of it, there was an enjoyable atmosphere on set for most people involved, going by what I saw in the documentary and what John told me.

John really enjoyed shooting the beach scene in Tomorrow’s End when Silverthorn dived into the sea to rescue the drowning boy. John said that originally it had been planned that a stunt actor would stand in for him, because the sea was quite dangerous in that area, but John, who passionately loves the ocean and is a very strong swimmer, insisted on doing it himself.

John also told me that he got along well with Miles Buchanan who played Eddie. I asked John if it took a few takes to shoot some of the more physical scenes they did together (like when the TV exploded and when Silverthorn would grab Eddie and rough him up) and he said that they managed to do most of those scenes in one take. John was impressed with the very high standard of Miles’ acting and said that Miles was a lovely person- he spoke affectionately about him.

Behind the scenes, Miles was battling with severe depression and addictions, but nevertheless did a stellar job (watching the show as a kid, I would never have imagined what Miles was going through).

A bit of behind the scenes trivia: the technician who operated the Moddie Chamber was played by Elizabeth Maywald, who was married to John H at the time of filming- they had a son together later that year.
Was there ever a plan for a third series or a spin-off?
No, as all the threads of the story were wrapped up at the end of Tomorrow’s End and it had been decided by the team of scientists that there would be no further time travel because of the dangerous changes to history it caused…but I would absolutely have loved to have seen a spin off show with Silverthorn and Eddie, or with Silverthorn and his gang in 2500!! 😁
Ties into first question, but when writing the first series, did they have an ending in mind for the second series?
As I said, they had already written the full story, but during the course of making the show many parts of the story and the dialogue were adjusted. There are many differences between the books and the show episodes, and between some of the original scripts and the finished episodes, so the writers and script editors did change their minds about some of the scenes and minor details of the story, but I’m assuming the basic details of the ending would have been planned out from the beginning when the show was being pitched to be made.
Why no Tulista in Tomorrow's End?
Great question!! I always thought her absence was odd too, especially considering the close emotional bond we saw between Alana and Tulista during the very first episode. The book version of Tomorrow’s End (which I didn’t get to read until 2018) provides an answer…

But even so, personally I have always suspected that originally it had been intended that Tulista would accompany Alana on her time journey to 2500 in Tomorrow’s End (which would have made sense as Tulista had spent a month in 2500, had experience and had learned the dangers, but no one else from the year 3000 had been there before), but for whatever reason, the actress Helen Jones who had played Tulista was unavailable to return for the second series. My theory is that rather than recast the part of Tulista, the writers created a new character, Lorien, to be Alana’s travel companion.

The sudden appearance of Lorien in the second series always felt odd to me… she was supposed to be Bruno’s assistant on the Time Travel project, but she wasn’t even in the Time Lab when the first time journey took place!!

Plus the book’s explanation about Tulista going to the Northern Hemisphere so soon after the events of the first series (ESPECIALLY as in the book version, when Jenny woke up in the year 3000, Alana told her she’d been there for only 9 days since the events of the first series, not a month as in the show) also seems odd considering the traumatic ordeals Tulista and Alana had just been through.

Tulista was like a mother to Alana, and had been separated from Alana for a month during her stay in 2500. Alana had also been separated from Tulista for a month when she was stranded in 1990, missing her and replaying her holographic recording, and not knowing if she would ever be able to return home and see her guardian in the flesh EVER AGAIN!! And I know that people from the year 3000 were trained to be less emotional, but if I had been in Alana or Tulista’s position, I’m sure I’d want to spend lots of time together after my ordeal, and share experiences of our time journeys. For Tulista to fly out to the Northern Hemisphere and leave Alana again, so soon… it just seemed weird to me.

Note, this is NOT intended as a criticism of the writers or of the character Lorien, or Catherine McClements who played her!! It’s just a theory I have, and I think that if Helen Jones wasn’t available then it was a smart solution to create Lorien because for younger viewers, a recast of Tulista- seeing a character with her name but with a different face- would have been confusing.

Speaking of Tulista, it was funny that when she got dressed up in armour for her time journey, she told Arva that “This was what women wore in 2500”, but when the characters travelled to 2500 in the second series, the only other woman there wearing armour was Silverthorn’s sidekick Kroll!! And no ordinary civilian men wore armour either. So I interpret this as the historians of 3000 making an unfortunate mistake basing Tulista’s clothing on historical images they had of female armed gang members from 2500. Which probably was the reason why Tulista caught Silverthorn’s attention… I imagine that initially he mistook her for a member of a rival gang!!

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 31 Mar 2024, 17:55

Hi again,

Since I last posted, I remembered more information that John H shared with me about making Tomorrow’s End, so I thought I’d share it here. 🙂

If anyone else on this thread has been in touch with any other former cast members or has read any interviews with them about the show and has more information to share, that would be fantastic!!

John H was involved with the construction of the Tomorrow’s End sets and prop making for several weeks prior to returning to the set to play Silverthorn. I think I mentioned it already earlier on in the thread, but he made all the weapons for the show, which he made from components of old computers.

The sets used to film all the street scenes in 2500, the scenes inside the Globecorp building, Nik’s derelict building and Silverthorn’s hideout were all constructed just for the show, inside a massive warehouse somewhere in Sydney. Many people were involved in the construction and I imagine it must have cost megabucks. (I was really impressed by the level of detail in the workmanship of these sets, because they effectively created what appeared to be a city and there were many beautiful details- despite 2500 being an ugly time- such as the street signs which were in an East Asian language, and the giant sculpture of the dragon with the long neck that we only saw brief glimpses of in the background in the street scenes.)

The sets were designed by Nicholas McCallum.

I don’t know the location of the warehouse, but there wouldn’t be any point in fans visiting it today, because after filming was over, all the sets were completely demolished, so not a trace remains today of the 2500 filming locations. (I think it was a pity about the dragon sculpture, and I hope that at least the crew and artists took plenty of photos of their work before everything was destroyed!!)

The warehouse was 2 or 3 kilometres away from where John H was living at the time, and the route was all uphill. Each day, John would cycle to work, which enabled him to pack on extra muscle for his role. He lived a very physically active lifestyle in those days and also did lots of surfing and swimming.

John remembers very well what the character of Silverthorn was like- his motivations, his ways of thinking and his weaknesses, like his emotional immaturity, but over the years he had forgotten some parts of the story, for example about Silverthorn having the brain tumour. It was 3 decades ago and John has played many, many other roles since, so this is understandable! 😄 He has recently re-watched some episodes of Tomorrow’s End which refreshed his memories, though.

He said he still gets lots of messages from about TGFT, especially from fans from Iran, where the show was extremely popular. I don’t think that he imagined when he played Silverthorn back in the early 90s that people would still be writing to him about it in the 2020s!! 😄

He was surprised to find out that some female fans of the show had crushes on Silverthorn, because neither he (nor the producer Noel Price) imagined Silverthorn as being attractive. :red:

Also he told me that the props department made him three earrings- two duplicates, in case the earring broke during filming. This was standard practice in TV and film making, apparently. But sadly we suspect that the earrings- like the Time Capsule and transducers and PJ- were thrown away after filming was completed. (Andrew Yoshimura contacted Film Australia to ask what happened to the other props, and was told that everything was either destroyed or repurposed). John H did however keep Silverthorn’s suit for a few years afterwards.

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 01 Apr 2024, 15:21

I just wanted to mention that all the behind the scenes photos I posted earlier in the thread were taken by the official TGFT and Tomorrow’s End stills photographer, John Halfhide- I thought I should credit him for his excellent work!! :yahoo:

He also took all the publicity photos for the show that were released to the media and were used for the book covers and the VHS and DVD release covers as well as the promotional posters.

And, in future posts, if I mention the Silverthorn actor again, I will type his full name, John Howard, rather than “John H”, to avoid confusion with John Halfhide. John is a such a popular name in the English speaking world! 😄

Fanat
Regent
Regent

Post by Fanat » 01 Apr 2024, 16:36

andrewd1984, welcome to the forum!

Your questions are very interesting, and Roja gave extraordinarily extensive and great answers.
Roja wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 17:55
If anyone else on this thread has been in touch with any other former cast members or has read any interviews with them about the show and has more information to share, that would be fantastic!!
I have something to share. :)

1. A few years ago, we created the subtitles for TGFT:
- season 1,
- season 2.

They were typed manually, and it was... well... quite exhausting because English is not our native language and what is called listening at English lessons/IELTS/TOEFL has never been my favourite thing. :crazy: However, we used TGFT books as a reference. They helped a lot with many lines pronounced in a... uhm... quintessentially Australian way. :)

I believe these subtitles might be important for TGFT fans even if they speak English fluently and generally don't need captions to understand what's being said.

2. I came across a paper called 'Girl From Tomorrow': a long, creative haul (Canberra Times, 1990). It had been written before TGFT was complete. This paper is generally about TFGT production.

A tip: it is a very good idea to search for TGFT-related things at Trove which is an Australian online library database (more information here). On certain occasions, it knows more than Google. :) I think there should be something else about TGFT there.

3. I know 3 fan websites about TGFT and Tomorrow's End:
- https://thegirlfromtomorrow.fandom.com/ ... orrow_Wiki
- https://www.angelfire.com/id/tomorrow/,
- https://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/tomatoes/99.

The last two sites are quite old and therefore interesting not only in the context of TGFT but also as the examples of the bygone early Internet era.

The last website is no longer available but can be accessed via the Wayback Machine. The other pages of this website can be accessed in a similar way, just type their address (e.g., https://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/to ... pisode.htm) at https://web.archive.org/ and select the available date; the last several years might not work out while something around 2010 seems to be fine.

4. The Australian Children's Television Foundation (ACTF) provides some education resources based on Australian TV shows, including TGFT.

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 01 Apr 2024, 18:27

Woah Fanat, it must have taken you ages to write those subtitles!! Well done, it must have been a painstaking task! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

And yes, Australian pronunciation differs a lot from British or US English. I speak British English and understand Australian English most of the time (most of my misunderstandings of Australian English relate to the difference of meanings of the same word, for example in Britain the word thong means g-string knickers, but in Australia they call sandals thongs!) but occasionally the pronunciation is difficult for me to decipher too.

There was a line in Tomorrow’s End when the angry man attacked Nik at the police station (after Nik arrived at the tip in 1990 in the Time Capsule, startling the man who was driving his car), and I couldn’t make out one of his lines at all, I could only make out “I thought the Martians had landed!”. It wasn’t until I read the Tomorrow’s End book many, many years later that I found out that the preceding line was “It just appeared in a flash of light!”. And I had never heard anyone pronounce the word “light” in the same way that man did!! 😄

Your Canberra Times article where they interviewed Mark Shirrefs and John Thomson is a fantastic find, well done!! It also more accurately answers Andrew’s question about the time of filming and the show’s release than I did. 😄

Were you able to view the images in that article? Because they wouldn’t open when I tried to click on them. If you can see them and can repost them in this thread, that would be fantastic!!

Personally I loved the comedy element of TGFT, for me it was a perfect blend of comedy and serious drama. The writers were brilliant at coming up with this perfect formula for the show.

Also I loved what John Thomson said here:
You
will find, if you ask around, that most
kids' favourite shows are the ones ac
tually made for adults. Real issues
from the real world is what interests
them.
I agree 100% with this!! And I reckon that’s why the show made such a powerful impression on me as a child, with the honest way themes like environmental destruction and the dangers of nuclear weapons were discussed- younger viewers were not patronised. Also in the scene where the doctor was very bluntly honest with Silverthorn about his diagnosis, while upsetting for me to watch as a kid the first time I saw it, it was realistic and it helped prepare me for the harsh realities of life when I got older. Sadly in real life terminal illnesses happen to people and we can’t hide away from that (and some of the young viewers would already have experienced family members being very ill or dying when they saw the show). I understand that adults want to protect children from horrible realities, but there are age appropriate ways these themes can be addressed in children’s shows and books. ❤️

Also it is wonderful that when I rewatch the show as an adult I can enjoy it just as much as when I was young, but when I have rewatched other shows from my childhood (not made for adults to enjoy too), I didn’t enjoy them nearly as much.

The article mentions both the writers being single at the time the first series was made, but I can reveal that Mark was living with a woman by the time he wrote the Tomorrow’s End script, and he now has three grandchildren. 🙂

Finally, today I remembered a funny story that John Howard told me a couple of years ago. One of the storylines he vividly remembered was how Silverthorn made money betting on the horses, and John himself enjoys betting on horse races too. And one day he noticed that a horse named Silver Thorn was racing, and he couldn’t resist placing a bet on him… but Silver Thorn finished last. 😂😂😂

Fanat
Regent
Regent

Post by Fanat » 01 Apr 2024, 19:23

Woah Fanat, it must have taken you ages to write those subtitles!! Well done, it must have been a painstaking task!
Yes, it was a painstaking thing indeed. However, most of the work was done by the other person who is a true hero.

The interesting thing is that I managed to buy a used TGFT book quite easily from AbeBooks. However, it was very difficult to find Tomorrow's End book. When I visited Australia in 2018 and explored Spellbinder filming locations in Sydney, I went to the State Library of New South Wales and borrowed that book just to make its copy. A librarian said that making a copy of such an old and out-of-print book is a grey zone in terms of copyright laws but he de facto allowed me to make a copy right in the library building. I made the copies of the first ~20 pages, and after that the process became very difficult. I had to open the book too hard and too wide in order to scan its two-page spreads, and I was worried that a spine could be seriously damaged. I decided not to copy the rest of pages and returned the book to the library. Anyway, I still have a library card from Sydney which I consider as a very nice souvenir. :)

Shortly after my trip I got a notification from AbeBooks that Tomorrow's End book is available. I immediately bought it, and today I'm a very happy owner of all the six books (2 TGFT + 4 Spellbinder).

All these books really helped us with the subtitles.

Much earlier, about 10-12 years ago, we also created the subtitles for both seasons of Spellbinder. Unlike TGFT subtitles, the key contribution was mine. It was much more difficult because my English level was worse back then, and, after all, there are more episodes in Spellbinder than in TGFT.
And yes, Australian pronunciation differs a lot from British or US English.
Yes!!! There is a theory (probably just a joke) that "due to the proliferation of flies, Aussies tried to talk with their mouths as tightly closed as possible, so ended up with the slur and shortened words that we know today". :crazy:
Were you able to view the images in that article?
Yes, I'm able to see the scan of that page. The website allows to export it to PDF. You can download it from here.

When I was doing a book copy in the library in Sydney, there were many people there who were scanning old newspapers and magazines all the time. The scanners were huge so that newspapers could fit them. I guess those people were not visitors but employees or volunteers. They probably were doing that for a digital archive. Thanks to them, we can read that article from Canberra Times without going to Australia.

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 01 Apr 2024, 22:20

Thank you for your efforts in going to the library and all the work you put in, Fanat!! 🙂

I have downloaded the .pdf file of the scan. That’s a lovely photo of Katharine Cullen and Melissa Marshall in the article, I hope one day one of us might find a better quality colour version of it (thanks to Mark Shirrefs, I already had seen the photo of him and John Thomson posing with the prop guns in full colour, which I posted earlier in this thread). It appears as if Katharine was holding a script, so I’m guessing that she and Melissa were rehearsing their lines at the time.

It would be so wonderful if Katharine and Melissa could reunite to do an interview together about the show! 🤩

Yes, the book of Tomorrow’s End can be notoriously difficult to find!! Recently I have seen copies for sale on EBay (sometimes for astronomical prices) but in 2018 when I got mine, I looked everywhere online and no-one was selling it, in fact I didn’t know it even existed until a Hungarian guy on Facebook made a post about his book. That was the reason I first got in touch with Mark Shirrefs, hoping that he might have some spare copies and it turned out he did, so I bought my copy from him.

I don’t have any of the Spellbinder books but I have considered maybe getting them as I’m curious to see what differences there were between the books and the show.

About accents, I find it cute when Australians pronounce some words with a ‘d’ sound instead of a ‘t’, like “tadoo” instead of “tattoo” and “liddle” instead of “little”, and when Jenny Kelly used to say (or shout or scream) “PEDEY!!” 😂

Having said that, in the London region where I’m from, I’m fully aware that we often completely drop the t sound from words, resulting in pronunciation like “ta’’oo”, “wa’er”, and “Bri’ish”, which I know can make our speech more difficult to understand when English is not your first language! I make a conscious effort to pronounce my Ts when I’m on the phone or reading something out loud, but if I’m relaxed and chatting to people I know then I’m automatically unconsciously dropping my Ts all the time (I have realised this from listening to recordings of myself). 😄

I see you have the Bri’ish edition of the TGFT book, by the way 😄(the Australian edition has a different cover).

This is a bit off topic as this is the TGFT thread, but as we were talking about accents, I was thinking about Heather Mitchell’s faux Polish accent as Ashka in Spellbinder. The rest of the actors in the scenes filmed in Poland were native Poles, so they spoke English with natural Polish accents while Heather faked hers so that her character would blend in (I guess it would sound odd if she used her real voice and was the only Spellbinder Land native who spoke with an Australian accent!)

In this video you can hear Heather Mitchell speaking English in her natural accent:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... e=emb_logo

Anyway, I was wondering what Ashka’s accent sounded like to Polish people, and to other Eastern Europeans? Was it a good imitation, or did it sound obviously fake or over the top? As a Western European I don’t know how convincing she was because her accent and the authentic Polish accents sounded similar to my ears, but I’m guessing that Eastern Europeans could tell it wasn’t her natural voice? 🙂

Anyway, back on topic, I am going to try to contact a couple of other people who were involved with TGFT, but I won’t say who they are in case my efforts are unsuccessful. But if I do succeed and get hold of more insider information, I will of course share it here! 🙂

A question for andrewd1984: Which year did you see TGFT and where do you live? 🙂

Fanat
Regent
Regent

Post by Fanat » 02 Apr 2024, 04:46

Wow, buying the second book directly from Mark Shirrefs was a great idea, a truly fan thing to do! Congratulations!

As for different English accents around the world, I must admit that I can't distinguish between most of them when listening because they sound very similar for me. However, I generally recognise some accents, specifically when the French, Germans, Indians, and Russians speak English. As for the UK, it turned out that I can distinguish the Scottish accent from other British accents. I didn't realise it until a travelled across Britain before the pandemic. :) In London, I didn't notice that T thing - most likely because there are many people from other parts of the UK and overseas in London. Generally, I have always understood 100 % of what King Charles III and the late Queen Elizabeth II are/were saying. Their English is perfect for me. :)

I didn't know that Heather Mitchell faked her accent in Spellbinder. Thank you very much for this information, I find it very interesting. Her natural accent, as I can hear from your YouTube link, definitely sounds very different.