The Girl from Tomorrow (TV series)

Anything that concerns other movies and serials: reviews, recommendations, etc.
Fanat
Regent
Regent

Re: The Girl from Tomorrow (TV series)

Post by Fanat » 05 Apr 2024, 18:43

What I don't really get is why James said to the police officer that the Time Capsule was a 12-sided figure (season 2, episode 10, ~11:30). One can easily count that there are 8 triangular and 18 square faces, i.e., 26 faces in total. One might want to exclude, e.g., the bottom (floor) face or the door but even then it's nowhere near twelve. :|

Such a polyhedron is called a rhombicuboctahedron.

CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

Roja, as an illustrator, you might be interested in that Leonardo da Vinci drew that thing for Pacioli's Divina proportione book.

Leonardo da Vinci, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 05 Apr 2024, 19:13

Yes I did notice James’ mistake in the episode because the capsule had a lot more than 12 sides! 😄 But I didn’t know the correct name for its shape until I searched online for a template to make 3D models of it.

I found a rhombicuboctrahedron template on www.polyhedra.net and made these earrings inspired by the capsule a few years ago:

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 09 Apr 2024, 11:54

:yahoo: BIG NEWS!! :yahoo:

I’ve been in touch with Nicholas/Nick McCallum, the Production Designer for both series, and he has found Dale Ferguson’s architectural drawings for the design of the Time Capsule and the Time Lab!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

He said it was fine to share them, so if anyone has the space at home and the skills to build a replica Time Capsule (or can afford to pay a builder to make one) then now you can!! 😁

andrewd1984
Villager
Villager

Post by andrewd1984 » 10 Apr 2024, 09:57

This has been a great thread - and a big thank you for those answers to my questions! I've thought of even more....

-Was it explained (either in the TV show) or book, why it's always dark in the year 2500?
-Was there any other point to the character of Lorien, other than they thought it would have needed a chaperone to get Jenny back to 1990? The way she was very quickly captured and moddied until the last episode showed there wasn't much interest in developing the character! A shame as she was interesting.
-Jenny quickly losing the hair dye in episode 1 of Tomorrow's End! A production decision? I always assumed it was because Melissa Marshall had asked not to bother with the purple rinse!
-Would the fact that Jenny/Silverthorn etc would have aged (admittedly by days/weeks) then be returned to their times at uncorresponding points in 1990 or 2500 not have bothered the scientists in the year 3000? e.g Jenny might actually have been aged 14 and 7 weeks at a point when she would have only just been 14 and 3 weeks? Or is that meant to have been part of what the whole issue then was?
-That strange line in the dialogue between Draco and Vance about not knowing about being a child (can't quite remember what it was). Was it meant to have been a joke or perhaps a hint that childhood is different in the future?
-How many scenes in 2500 were actually filmed as exteriors?
-Has anyone got or seen the (in my opinion) horrendously truncated telemovie/omnibus DVDs? I bought one of Tomorrow's End in Sydney in 2007 and was horrified to discover on watching it that it was am omnibus edition. Other than being an interesting curio, I hated the pacing and the way it had to cut about 60% of the material out.
-What was the reason behind introducing the Time Gate? Aside from the fact it's slightly implausible they'd make the big time machine discovery (which presumably took lots of time!) only to develop a follow-up mere weeks later, why did the writers/production team introduce it? A cool new thing for the second series? It was cheaper to film (cheaper FX)? Or it helped facilitate the vast amount of time travel needed in Tomorrow's End - and they thought multiple Time Capsules would be boring/confusing? Maybe it was to facilitate the entire plot point around transporting the weapons from 1990 to 2500?
-Is it addressed at other points what the purpose of the scientists/time capsule lab was other than for the time travel experiment? Or was that the entire purpose of the set-up/their lives' work?
-With the Time Capsule, other than specifying a year, how was a specific date and time keyed into the co-ordinates?

Reuniting at least Melissa and Katharine sounds like a no-brainer! Has anyone attempted to do this - they're both on Facebook? Obviously John Howard would be up for it too. Would love to hear from anyone connected to the show!

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 10 Apr 2024, 19:28

Hi again Andrew! 🙂

You have asked several very detailed questions and I don’t have enough time to answer them all in one post, so instead I will answer the first 2 now, and then come back again and answer the rest when I’m able to. 🙂
Was it explained (either in the TV show) or book, why it's always dark in the year 2500?
I had wondered why myself, too. It was never explicitly explained why it always seemed to be night time there, but Nik did mention about how the sky in the year 2500 was “so full of gunk” that people were unable to see the stars any more. Perhaps this affected the sunlight too, although when Silverthorn and Draco met beside the canal, Silverthorn commented about the moonlight, so on that occasion the moon would have been visible (maybe it was a full moon that night?). And in the book version it was mentioned that the skyscrapers were so tall, they prevented light from reaching the street level.

Also, with the vast majority of the scenes in 2500 being filmed inside an indoor set, practically it would have been easier to create night time lighting effects rather than daytime.
-Was there any other point to the character of Lorien, other than they thought it would have needed a chaperone to get Jenny back to 1990? The way she was very quickly captured and moddied until the last episode showed there wasn't much interest in developing the character! A shame as she was interesting.
I agree, it was a pity her character wasn’t developed and spent most of her episodes in a moddied state!

As I said previously, I have suspected that Lorien was created to replace Tulista, but since I made that post it also occurred to me that:

-If the same storyline had been done with Tulista instead of Lorien, I think that Tulista would have been less likely to fall for Silverthorn’s pretence of having amnesia and of being harmless.

Tulista had the experience of being physically attacked by him in the first series, plus, after spending a month in 2500, Tulista would also have lots of observations of how people from that time generally behaved- lying, stealing and fighting- so would have lost at least some of her innocence and wouldn’t have been as naive and easily trusting as Lorien.

And even if Tulista HAD believed in Silverthorn’s amnesia act, I reckon the trauma of being attacked by him would at least have made her uncomfortable and jumpy around him. (That’s just basic human female instinct, and I’m speaking from experience as a survivor of domestic violence- as a woman, once you learn the hard way how dangerous some men can be, it rewires your nervous system)

-Being a technician, Lorien’s skills were needed in the final episode when she rewired the TimeGate settings to override Silverthorn’s setting its controls to his brainwave patterns so that only he could operate it. This was why the characters were able to use the Gate again to send Jenny and Petey back to 1990, but it wasn’t mentioned in the dialogue (I guess due to the episode time limits) but it was explained in the book.

Tulista was a historian, so I doubt she would have had the same extensive knowledge of how the Time Travel technology worked.

I’m thinking the main point of Lorien’s character actually WAS for her to be moddied, to show the audience how horrifyingly evil Globecorp was. They took a character who Alana cared about and completely removed all traces of her personality, and all those scenes showing Lorien walking around in a glassy eyed trance with no memory or recognition of Alana, and being forced to work with toxic chemicals, were to show us what happened to so many innocent people in 2500 and to remind us of the constant threat of what could happen to the other characters (Alana, Jenny, Petey, Nik, Silverthorn and his gang… and everyone else in that time) if they were arrested by Globecorp. (Silverthorn almost got moddied too, and Petey was semi-moddied.) And it was also a scary and sad scene when Alana attempted to bring Lorien out of it using her Transducer, but couldn’t. So I think Lorien’s storyline was intended to create fear and tension for the audience.

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 10 Apr 2024, 22:29

An afterthought that just occurred to me re: Andrew’s Lorien question was that perhaps a reason why she was moddied so early on was because the writers felt it would be more scary if Alana was forced into a situation where she didn’t have an adult around to protect her and had to escape from the Globecorp Building all by herself.

Then after that, it was mainly Alana, Jenny and Nik, three teenagers*, having to use their wits and various skills and teamwork to try and prevent the Great Disaster. They did have some help from Maeve and, much later on, James and Irene, but for the most part, it was the children (including Petey, after his hypnosis was broken) who ultimately came up with the ideas to save the world and defeat the villains. Much like in the climax of the first series when Petey helped Alana and Jenny escape Eddie, and then Alana (with emotional support from Jenny, who urged her not to give up) defeated Silverthorn and got the Capsule back while Irene and James were still tied up in the bedroom.

As the child characters saving the day is a continuous theme in both series I am certain this was deliberate and intentional by the writers. 🙂

I also remember the same thing happening in Spellbinder (also written by Mark Shirrefs and John Thomson) when, for example, Riana was much smarter than Correon, and Paul’s father was charmed by Ashka and Paul and Alex had to defeat her.

*I have always found it visually difficult to imagine Nik as being only 15 because the actor Jeremy Scrivener was well into his 20s when he played Nik! His acting was great though, so I can forgive him for not visually appearing 15. 😄 And I can’t imagine anyone else than Jeremy in the role of Nik.

Fanat
Regent
Regent

Post by Fanat » 23 Apr 2024, 15:12

I've just found another interview with Mark Shirrefs. It contains some interesing facts about TGFT and scriptwriting in general. Here is the direct link (PDF).

Cordell1981
Villager
Villager

Post by Cordell1981 » 23 Apr 2024, 16:10

Greetings from Hungary!

It's so great that I have found this forum! TGFT is one of my favourite series ever! I was and still am crazy about this! The first season was broadcast in
november and december in 1992 in Hungary and the second one was on TV in the summer and the autumn of 1994. Despite the fact that we got very limited information about the show, it was extremely popular. A novelization of the first season was released, sadly, we didn't get a book of the second season.

After the end of the series, I found out that one of my friends recorded it to VHS and I recorded the 2nd season, so I watched it many times in the following years. I remember that the Hungarian dubbing was very good, however, it was odd that the voices of some main character were changed in the second season. Not suprisingly, TGFT is a retro cult series in our country.

It was TGFT that opened the door to other Aussie SCI-Fi series like Spellbinder (which was also broadcast in Hungary under the title 'Mágusok') and the film 'Time Game'.

Here is the cover of the Hungarian version of TGFT novelisation.

Cordell1981
Villager
Villager

Post by Cordell1981 » 23 Apr 2024, 18:06

If you and Roja want to add the Hungarian edition to your collection, drop me a line! :D
Fanat wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 19:23
I'm a very happy owner of all the six books (2 TGFT + 4 Spellbinder).
Last edited by Cordell1981 on 24 Apr 2024, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

Cordell1981
Villager
Villager

Post by Cordell1981 » 23 Apr 2024, 19:06

Here are some clippings from Hungarian TV magazines.

"A popular theme in fantasy films is what our great-great-grandchildren would see us as.
This is the theme of the 12-part Australian film series 'The Girl from the Tomorrow', the first part of which will be shown on TV1 on 21 November at 9.05am. Alana, the girl from the future, was born at a time when time travel is commonplace. However, this travel is fraught with danger, even though they live in an era of peace, if they travel backwards in time to a more warlike century.
(Scene from the film.)"

"The Girl from the Tomorrow
This twelve-part Australian film series belongs to the category of fantastic films. In the picture (!!!), the film's protagonist, Alana (Katharine Cullen), is about to embark on a dangerous journey forward in time "