The Girl from Tomorrow (TV series)

Anything that concerns other movies and serials: reviews, recommendations, etc.
Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Re: The Girl from Tomorrow (TV series)

Post by Roja » 18 Feb 2024, 19:38

Hi again, I’m back to share some more TGFT related goodies that were generously shared with me. I know this thread doesn’t get visitors often but I hope those who find it will enjoy the content! 🙂

First, I have some more wonderful photographs that Mark Shirrefs sent me… 🤩🤩🤩

A still photo from the scene in Episode 9 of The Girl From Tomorrow when the terminally ill Silverthorn ordered Eddie to find Alana so that she could cure him:

And some behind the scenes photos from the filming of Episode 4 of Tomorrow’s End…

All photographs were taken by the official stills photographer, John Halfhide.

(Post edited to credit the photographer 🙂)
Last edited by Roja on 10 Apr 2024, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 18 Feb 2024, 19:43

Mark also posted me some promotional posters for The Girl From Tomorrow and Tomorrow’s End!! 🤩🤩🤩

This gift was a completely surprise and made me incredibly happy!! 🤩🤩🤩 These are screenshots from my live reaction on opening my present…

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 18 Feb 2024, 19:59

I was sent these photos of the filming locations by Andrew Yoshimura, who founded the original TGFT fan website decades ago.

The back of Kelly Deli. The wall looks a bit crumbly now, but the tall metal gate that Silverthorn climbed over in the final episode of the first series is still standing!

Views of the skyscraper which was the Globecorp Building in 2500/the Global And Interstellar Research Building in 1990…

Andrew also has a copy of the scripts from Tomorrow’s End, and he showed me this deleted scene in which Jenny has a nightmare about Silverthorn. This scene wasn’t in the Tomorrow’s End book either! I’m guessing it was cut for time maybe?

Fanat
Regent
Regent

Post by Fanat » 18 Feb 2024, 20:14

Hi Roja,

All that is absolutely fantastic! In fact, I am always extremely interested in such things as scripts, filming locations, behind-the-scenes photos, etc. Thank you very much for sharing it here!

Fanat
Regent
Regent

Post by Fanat » 19 Feb 2024, 14:01

I've just found a beach from the beginning of season 2.

This is Turimetta Beach (-33.699151°, 151.309648°). Compare the TV screenshot with this picture:

Source: https://youtu.be/wFmbBE2j91M

It is exactly the beach from the series!

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 19 Feb 2024, 16:47

Oh wow Fanat, that’s definitely the same beach!! 🤩 I think the recent picture must have been taken during a different season of the year because of all the algae on the rocks. 🙂

In early 2022 I had plans myself to visit Sydney and go to some of the filming locations, and I had started saving money, but sadly things didn’t work out and I had to spend the money on other things, so I currently can’t afford it. But it is wonderful that we can find images of these locations on the internet! 😁

Fanat
Regent
Regent

Post by Fanat » 19 Feb 2024, 17:16

Wonderful! I hope you will be able to visit Sydney in the near future. Visiting filming locations is a really great thing!

If you are interested in the filming locations of The Girl from Tomorrow only, they are all here, in this topic. However, if you're interested in Spellbinder as well, things are a bit complicated because not everything is published in English here. You can find more detail here.

Roja
Summoner
Summoner

Post by Roja » 19 Feb 2024, 17:30

I think Spellbinder was a fantastic show too, but I’m not passionate enough about it to travel to the filming locations… 😄 I discovered Spellbinder as an adult as I didn’t see it when it was originally broadcast in the 90s, but TGFT is much closer to my heart as it was part of my childhood ❤️

However, I know the two shows shared one filming location: Paul and Alex’s school in Spellbinder was exactly the same building as Jenny’s school in TGFT!! 😄 I remember thinking it was really funny when I first watched Spellbinder and I realised this!! 😄

The shows also shared an actor: Monroe Reimers who played Bruno in TGFT also played the kindly doctor who treated Paul in Spellbinder when Paul returned to his own world with an electrical burn from Ashka’s power suit 🙂

AND there was a scene in a television shop in Spellbinder where an episode of Tomorrow’s End was playing on one of the TV screens in the background 😄

Fanat
Regent
Regent

Post by Fanat » 20 Feb 2024, 05:12

Apparently I forgot to write here about the location where Alana, Jenny, and Irene were walking to school.

I found it using the signboard Quants Qua... Meats. Some letters are missing here but the full name is Quants Quality Meats - I got it using Google. There are not so many such shops in Sydney. Using Google Street View, I found that this particular one is next to Lindfield railway station (17 Lindfield Ave, Lindfield NSW 2070; coordinates -33.77504, 151.16945).

Here is a photo from Google Street View:

Please note that there is no glass in some windows, both in 1991 and today. The pharmacy and the charcoal chicken shop are still there! Kodak is obviously no longer there.

Interestingly, there was Film Australia studio in Lindfield. It was sold out and demolished about 10 years ago. This studio was shown in Spellbinder: it was the laboratory where Paul's father worked (season 1) and the TV studio where the milk ad was shot using the bamboo boat (season 2).

Fanat
Regent
Regent

Post by Fanat » 24 Feb 2024, 18:15

I - or, to be more correct, Google Lens :mrgreen: - have just found one of the places where Petey was bullied.

This is Stanmore Public School (100 Cambridge St, Stanmore NSW 2048; coordinates -33.895216, 151.164729). A very recognizable picture of this building can be found at the school website.

Stanmore railway station, where some other locations are found (see the beginning of this topic), is very close to this school.